Friday, October 17, 2014

Design Project: Bird Feeders

During our IBL classes with Mrs. Friesen we have been learning a lot about how people, plants and animals live throughout the changing seasons. We know that some animals hibernate, or migrate, or stay here. Students designed bird feeders to help the birds that stay here for the winter. Criteria was made together so everyone knew what was required for their design. Students were able to test their designs and make necessary changes like all good designers do. Self-reflection was an important part of the process as well. Students were asked to think about what they did well and what changes they would make next time. There were many good conversations before, during and after the design process. We were able to build our bird feeders with our Grade 1 friends in Ms Turner's class, which made it even more fun. It was a busy, active morning.

Here are some of our thoughts:
I liked making the bird feeders because we got to make our own. -Graysen
I put on the string so it could hang from a tree. -Kayden
I held the bottle and squeezed it. -Kingston
I liked making the bird feeder because it was hard work. -Kyla
I enjoyed touching the seeds because they felt smooth. -Diamond
I had to change my perch because it was too high. -Andrew
I liked holding the bottle when it was being filled with bird seed. -Ezra
I fixed the perch because it was too high. -Shelby
The thing that was easy was getting the bird seed in because we used a funnel. -Ashton
It was hard to put the long perch through the second hole. -Kody
I learned that the bird seed goes in the bottle so the birds can eat it. -Brianna
It was easy to walk around and get all the things I needed to make my bird feeder. - Xoie
I liked when I put the seeds in because I poured it in the bottle. -Ashley
I learned that the hole had to be big so the birds can get the bird seed. -Rylee
You need to put holes in the bottle so the birds can eat. -Brayden
The sticks weren't staying in the right spot so we used glue. -Saydee
It was hard to put the perch through the hole because the hole was small. -Reese
Sticking the perch in the bottle was easy because I twisted it. -Hunter

Thanks to the parent volunteers who were able to help us with this activity! Awesome work Grade 1s.



-Mrs. T :)


No comments:

Post a Comment