Thursday, November 13, 2014

Guest Author and Illustrator

What an amazing day! We were delighted to have an author and illustrator come to our classroom to share the book, Doors in the Air. David Weale (author) and Pierre Pratt (illustrator) were very special guests in our room. They talked about how we can use our imagination to take us to different places and to experience different things. Pierre drew a door and then created an illustration of what could be behind that door based on our ideas. It was so neat to see a picture develop right before our eyes. What a treat it was to hear David read the story he wrote.


Here are our thoughts:
I liked the book. The pictures and the words looked really nice. -Shelby
The best part was when they read the book to us and when we got the book. -Kyla
You can think of anything in your imagination. -Ezra
I loved watching Pierre draw and listening to David read the story. Open a door to your imagination and take an amazing journey! -Mrs. T
I liked when they read the story. -Brianna
I liked the pictures in the book. -Ashley
My favourite picture is the one with all the doors because the story is called, "Doors in the Air". -Ashton
I liked the doors book because doors can bring you anywhere. -Xoie
I liked the page where he found a new land and he floated off. -Andrew
Pierre is a really good drawer. -Reese
My favourite part was the doors page because he was checking every door.-Kody
I liked the flower page because the flowers were well drawn. -Hunter
I liked the book because I liked how they made the words rhyme. -Rylee
I liked the book. My favourite page was when he bent down to get the flower. The flower looks beautiful. -Diamond


Our favourite illustrations.
I liked when the author retold the story. He was very exciting. -Kingston
I loved everything. The best part was how they got the students to create their own story using their imagination. -Ms Claydon
I liked listening to the book. -Brayden
I'm glad we got our own book to keep. -Kayden

We would like to thank the Children's Book Centre and TD Bank Group for giving each Grade One student a copy of this awesome Canadian picture book. What a fabulous way to support children's literacy! It was wonderful to be a selected school for the Doors in the Air Author and Illustrator Tour. Special thanks to Gail Hamilton, a former teacher librarian at BHS, for suggesting our school for this unique event.

What could be behind this door?
Sesame, sesame, snap!



Thanks for signing our class copy!
Who wants their very own book? Yes please!!
















We hope you enjoy reading Doors in the Air at home with your family and friends! The book is also available in our school library.

-Mrs. T :)

No comments:

Post a Comment