Thursday, September 29, 2016

Tools Not Toys


We are fortunate to have many tools in our classroom to help us focus and do our job. Fidget tools have been introduced at carpet time where students select a tool that they can use to keep their hands busy while listening and participating in class. We have discussed and modeled proper use of these tools. The kids are encouraged to try different ones to determine if they are helpful. It is interesting to see the students identify which tools enable them to focus better. If the tools are being played with, we are reminded that they are not toys and perhaps that tool is not a good fit. We have rockers, sit cushions and a hokki stool that are used throughout the day as well. These tools are very popular as they allow the kids to have some movement while seated. The standing desk, counter areas, pillows, carpets and tables allow us to move around to find a spot that is comfortable and productive. I love the independence students are showing as they explore the different areas of our room.

Here are our thoughts:
I use Blueberry. It is heavy on my legs. -Stacey
I like the rockers because it helps me focus. -Blake
I like the fidget tools because they help me listen. -Brody
Tools help to keep your hands from touching people. -Adria
I use the rocker chair. -Dominic
The tools move around in my hands. -Lily
I like to twist the tools in my hands. -Charlotte
I like tools because they help me move my hands at carpet time. The chairs help me too. -Ben
I like the rockers because you can move around at your seat. -Chase
I like using the tools because it helps my hands move around. -Theo
I like using the tools during calendar stuff. - Brooke
I like using the tools because they stretch my hands. -Arianna
I use the tools at carpet time. -Ava
I like the fidget tools. They help me listen. -Tyson
The tools help my hands. -Marshall
The tools keep us calm. -Desi
The tools help us listen. -Andrew
I like rocking at my table. -Jack
I like the the twisting tool because it helps my hands move a lot and it helps me listen. -Bianca


Way to go everyone! Our classroom needs to work for all learners. We get a lot done when we are focused and comfortable in our space. Together we are working on making our learning environment a great place to be.
-Mrs. T:)

No comments:

Post a Comment