Saturday, June 10, 2017

Water Walk

Grade 5s with filled milk jugs
Our grade 5s participated in a water walk and raised $660 dollars for "We Schools" to help make difference for communities living without safe drinking water. They walked to Silver Fox estates and filled 4 litre milk jugs and carried them back to school. We thought it would be a good idea for the younger grades to participate in the walk as well. Ms. Code and Mr. Moffatt's class joined us for our own water walk on Walking Wednesday. Before we headed out to begin we watched this video. We carried the water around the perimeter of the school playground. The goal was to do 6 laps. Some students even carried 2 jugs for a few laps! It was an eye opening experience. We are so fortunate to be able to turn on a tap to get clean water.
-Mrs. T :)

Grade 1s and 2s ready to walk


We walked around the whole school for 6 laps. I did not carry a heavy jug. I carried a light jug. -Lily
I carried 2 at once, but then I dropped one and then I kept doing it with 1 jug. -Marshall
Some people do not have water to drink. -Desi
People have to drink dirty water. We are carrying jugs of water. We get to drink clean water. -Ben
I got exercise. It is hard to carry all that water. -Chase
I learned that it was heavy to carry the water. In the video just girls were carrying the water. The boys were going to school. -Arianna
I went around with a jug of water 6 times. I did not quit. -Jack
I carried a water jug around the field. It was hard. -Dominic
I was not at the walk. I learned before we went for the water walk that we need water to survive. -Blake
There are people who have to drink bad water. We don't have to drink bad water. That is good. -Andrew
It is very hard to carry all the jugs of water because they are very heavy. -Brody
I learned that the jugs are very heavy to carry on the walk. I went 1 lap without water and 1 lap with a jug. They didn't have a choice. They just have to carry the water jugs and they are much heavier than the milk jugs. -Adria
I know that the people who have to carry jugs of water have to that every single day. That makes me feel sad for them. -Charlotte
I learned that people that don't have water like we do have to carry very heavy jugs of water. -Ava
I learned that some who live far away from us don't have clean water. They have to go to the river every day and the boys have to go to school. The girls walk every day to the river to get water and it is not healthy water. -Brooke
It was hard to carry jugs of water around the school yard 6 times. I carried 2 jugs for 2 laps and 1 jug for 4 laps. 2+4=6. -Theo

Now when we go to turn on the tap or take a sip of clean we may take a moment to be thankful for how lucky we are. Enjoy fresh, clean water. . . don't waste it.
-Mrs. T :)


No comments:

Post a Comment