Friday, October 02, 2015

Books, Books, Books

The classroom library is pretty organized at the beginning of the year. The bins are labelled and filled with lots of books. Last year the students would find books that interested them and put them in their book bins. They never really knew where to put them when they wanted to return the books. I realized that the bins were organized the way I thought they should be organized. The students really didn't know about all the great reading material we had in our room. At a meeting Ms.Code talked about how she gets students to organize the library by sorting books into bins and making the labels. So we have been working hard to sort through our library books. We have lots of bins ready to be labelled. Some examples are: School, Dogs, Bears, What if, Clifford, Sharp Teeth, Elephant and Piggie just to name a few. Thanks Grade 1s for the excellent thinking that is helping to make our library work for us.


Here are our thoughts:
I picked up some books and put them in a Clifford pile and a sharp teeth pile. -Callum
You sort books because it's cool and you can find all different kinds and make them into a pile. -Josh
I wanted to make a Sundog pile, but there were only two books so I put them with the animal pile instead. -Gavin
I liked book sorting because you get to look and find lots of books. -Naomi
I like read to self because it's fun to read. I'm reading a book about basketball. -Russell A.
I like doing read to someone. I get to read to a friend. -Jake
We have lots of books in the class. -Ethan
The animal pile was really big so we made other piles. -Sasha
Book sorting is fun because you find books that go together. We will put them in bins. -Brady
I liked book sorting, but it's a lot of work. -Levi
I sorted a lot of books. We put them in piles and people added to the piles. -Eliza
It's fun to get to sort books. We will know where all the books go. -Sierra
I can find all the books in our class library. -Zachary
I liked sorting books because I sort at home too. I sort crayons and beads. -Cady
I liked sorting books. We got lots of big piles. -Landyn
I helped put books in piles. I made a bug and insect pile. -Cody
I sorted animal books. -Russell L.
All our books in our classroom will be sorted and we can find them easily. -Anna

It is awesome that we love to spend time with our books. It is even an activity some like to do at choice time. Sorry for the blurry photos. . . the kids were working and moving and so was the photographer! I hope you enjoy a good book this weekend. Maybe you can read outside in a pile of leaves! Have a fabulous weekend.
-Mrs. T :)


1 comment:

  1. What a great way to give the students ownership of the class library. You all worked very hard this week!

    ReplyDelete