Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Building Community

Miss Katie and Mr. Henri have been talking to the grade 1s about building community in the classroom. We have talked about how to listen with our whole body, our eyes, ears, mouth, hands, brain and heart. We shared many examples of how students in Room 2 can be very different, but also the same in many ways. We made a graph about flavours of ice cream we like and the colour of our hair. There were many differences and similarities in our classroom. 
Here are our thoughts:
They used puppets to show how to be responsible, respectful and safe. -Gavin
I learned that we can make a community with just a little bit of people. -Levi
I learned that on the outside things can be different, but in side things can be the same. -Cady
I use my ears to listen. -Josh
Mr. Henri makes funny faces. -Ethan
I learned how to be responsible and listen with your whole body. -Landyn
I like chocolate ice cream. -Jay Dee
I learned that everyone does not like the same ice cream sometimes. -Zachary
My favourite ice cream was orange. -Cody
I learned that we are the same on the inside, but different on the outside. -Sierra
I learned that nobody's hair colour has to be the same. My hair colour is dirty blonde. -Naomi
I liked the puppets. Rexy is the dinosaur puppet. -Russell L.
We made a graph to show which people liked different ice cream. I like chocolate. -Eliza
It was fun learning about being the same and different. -Bapreet
On the outside you look different, but on the inside we are the same. -Brady
We read a book about how we don't have to be the same. We talked about how people are different. -Anna
Most people loved other ice creams that weren't on the sheet. Rainbow is my favourite kind of ice cream. -Callum 





We are happy to have Miss Katie and Mr. Henri come to spend time with us. The students are learning new information to help us be a kind and supportive classroom community. 
-Mrs. T :)

No comments:

Post a Comment